Home / FAQ



What is massage?

Massage is the scientific manipulation of the soft tissues of the body for the purpose of normalizing those tissues and consists of manual techniques that include applying fixed or movable pressure, holding, and or causing movement of the body.


What do I bring to my massage?

Just bring yourself! After you fill out the case history form, the therapist will instruct you on what procedures to follow.


How do I pay for my treatment?

You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, Visa or MasterCard. We do not accept American Express.


Are all the massage therapists regulated?

Yes, we are all accredited registered massage therapists and accredited by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario. If you have extended health benefit coverage you must use a registered massage therapist to claim your benefits.


Which RMT do I choose for my treatment?

We have both male and female therapists and you can choose whom ever you like! We all have years of experience in all kinds of treatment.


Are you a Spa or a Clinic?

We are a working clinic committed to treatment based therapies.


Do you direct bill my insurer?

No, when you pay for your treatment the receipt you receive will have all the information for your insurance company to reimburse you.


What is the RMTAO?

The RMTAO is the professional voice of massage therapy.  Established in 1936, the RMTAO is a member driven, non-profit association that provides leadership for and advocates on behalf of the profession. The RMTAO advances the profession of massage therapy by promoting a professional image to the public, educational institutions, the government, business and other health care professions.



Who pays for massage therapy?

Many extended health insurance plans cover massage therapy treatments when provided by a Registered Massage Therapist.  They often do not require a physician’s order for treatments, although some may still have this requirement.  Many plans require that the covered individual pay for the treatment and submit the expense for reimbursement.

Most Registered Massage Therapists will require payment upon the provision of services.  As most are operating as an independent practitioner, they are not in a position to provide credit, that is, wait until payment is received under extended health plans, before receiving payment.  Please be sure to discuss this with your RMT before treatment.

Massage Therapy may also be covered by insurance companies when treating injuries resulting from a motor vehicle accident (MVA), or from a workplace injury through the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), or through Veterans Affairs.



How do I find a Registered Massage Therapist?

If you are seeking massage therapy treatment in Ontario, please visit our companion website: www.RMTFind.com . You can search by postal code, region or massage therapist name to find a massage therapist near you.



Who do I contact if I have a question about my RMTs actions?

The practice of massage therapy is regulated under the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Massage Therapy Act.  These pieces of legislation establish the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) and the profession of massage therapy as a self-regulating health profession in Ontario.

The CMTO exists to protect the public interest and to regulate the profession of massage therapy, through the maintenance of high professional standards.  The CMTO also ensures ethical, high-quality health care.

Questions regarding the conduct of a Registered Massage Therapist must be addressed to the CMTO.  The RHPA requires the CMTO to have a formal complaints process. This process gives any member of the public the right to have his/her complaint about a Registered Massage Therapist’s behaviour, conduct or practice investigated by the College’s Complaints Committee. Each step of the process is designed to ensure fairness to both the complainant and the member who is the subject of the complaint.

You may file a complaint with the Registrar in writing, recorded on audio tape or on video, submitted on disk or on other permanent medium.  The complaint should include the name of the Massage Therapist, the time, place, date(s) and details of the event(s).   You may file the complaint as follows:

College of Massage Therapists of Ontario
1867 Yonge Street, Suite 810
Toronto, Ontario
M4S 1Y5

For more information about the College, you may visit their website at www.cmto.com.


Is massage therapy covered under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)?

No.  Massage therapy treatments are not covered under OHIP, regardless of whether the treatments are provided by a Registered Massage Therapist directly, by a physician or required (i.e. a prescription) by a physician.

Most progressive extended health benefit plans do cover massage therapy treatments when provided by a Registered Massage Therapist and most do not require a physician’s order to do so.  Contact your employer for more information.


Why do Massage Therapists charge HST?

In Canada, before a health profession can be exempted from charging HST the profession must be regulated in a minimum of five (5) provinces.  Registered Massage Therapists are a regulated health profession currently in only three (3) Provinces, Ontario, Newfoundland and British Columbia.  Legislation is in progress in several other provinces at various stages.  These include Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia.

The RMTAO, is working to ensure that Massage Therapists become regulated in other provinces and will be asking the Canadian Government to allow the exemption as soon as possible.

In the meantime, most Massage Therapists are HST-registered under the rules established by the Canadian Government are required to charge HST.


How do I become a Registered Massage Therapist?

In order to become a Registered Massage Therapist in Ontario, an individual must complete an educational program at an educational institution recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Upon graduation, the individual must become registered with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO), the regulatory body for the profession.  This includes the completion of Certification Examinations.

Certification Examinations include two components, Multiple-Choice Examination and Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation (OSCE).  Successful completion of both components of the certification examination is a non-exemptible requirement for all candidates seeking registration with the College.

For more information about the examination process or the CMTO, visit www.cmto.com.